Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Heart of the Way (Newsletter Article)


The Heart of the Way
Every one of us has some pull towards what is true, a pull to wake up. Sometimes this can feel like a search for “something more.” In Japanese this is expressed as “do-shin,” literally “Way – Heart/Mind.” Looking back over our life to see how The Way, The Dharma, The Bodhisattva Mind arose and got cultivated in our life can be a helpful new way to review our own life story. It can also help us to share in hearing someone else’s story. Sometimes there is an event or burning question that sparks this deeper aspiration or inquiry in our life. This newsletter contains our first feature of this kind of personal story.  We have asked Max Schlueter to be the first to tell his story.
                                                                                                                                Taihaku and Kenzan

Stumbling Around Zen
My journey to Zen Buddhism and Shao Shan Temple was unnecessarily long and twisting. It was hampered by two things:  1) my taking an overly academic approach to Zen; and 2) my reluctance to find a teacher and a sangha to support and help deepen my practice.

About 15 years ago I was experiencing some serious work-related stress.  Looking for more effective stress management strategies lead me to Jon Kabat-Zinn’s book entitled, Full Catastrophe Living.  Kabat-Zinn’s straightforward approach to mindfulness and meditation started me on my journey to Zen Buddhism. Zazen (sitting meditation) improved the quality of my life, which then allowed me to recognize a need to add a spiritual dimension to my life.  As a professional researcher, the empirical, non-faith based nature of the Dharma attracted me.  For the next five years I stumbled around doing daily meditation and reading Zen works with neither guidance nor direction. 

Looking for More
All of my readings suggested the importance of having a teacher and being affiliated with a Zen temple.  Though I understood this, I was reluctant to make the effort to try and find a teacher and a practice center. What could a teacher add to what I was already learning from reading the works of distinguished Buddhist teachers?  Finally, at the urging of a Buddhist friend, I enrolled in a couple of weekend retreats at Zen Mountain Monastery (ZMM) in upstate New York. Though the staff and sangha were welcoming and the Zazen instruction was helpful, ZMM was a 4.5 hour drive and program tuition was expensive.  As an alternative I sat briefly with a ZMM affiliate in Montpelier, but that was just sitting.  There was no interaction with a teacher or study of the Dharma. Unsure of the next step, I took the easy path.





The Three Jewels
For another four years I practiced and studied by myself. Intellectually I knew a few things about Zen teachings, but I also was realizing that I had little actual experience practicing the Dharma. Though I knew I needed a teacher and a sangha, the online list of Vermont Buddhist temples was long and intimidating. Which one should I choose? Finally, a former colleague and Buddhist friend recommended that I think about attending Shao Shan Temple. Another year passed during which I periodically read Shao Shan’s website, hemming and hawing about whether or not I wanted to contact the priests for an introductory meeting. 

Finally, in 2015 I met Taihaku and Kenzan and attended my first Thursday afternoon sitting and discussion program. The Shao Shan Temple grounds were peaceful, Taihaku and Kenzan were welcoming and knowledgeable, and the sangha was diverse and interesting.  I quickly realized that I had arrived at my Dharma home. In 2016 I received the Precepts and in 2017 I became a formal student. I now have two dedicated teachers, study the Dharma under their guidance, and have many Dharma friends who inform, enrich, and support my practice.  As a solo practitioner my practice was stagnant. As a member of Shao Shan Temple it has flourished.  
Max Schlueter