Saturday, January 8, 2022

Bowing Week - January 3-7

 As we have sometimes done in January at Shao Shan Temple, this past week was "Bowing Week".  We began every morning with 108 bows before the usual 7am morning program (bowing also being an online program).  With each bow chanting "Namu Kie Butsu", "Namu Kie Ho", "Namu Kie So".  



We began each bowing session with this chant from Thich Nhat Hahn:

Touching the Earth

The one who bows and the one who is bowed to are both by nature, empty.
Therefore the communication between them is inexpressibly perfect.
Our practice is within the Net of Indra, reflecting all Buddhas everywhere,
and my own person reflects in all Buddhas, 
to whom with myh whole life I go for refuge.


On the Bowing Practice -  by Chogetsu-Donna

 I was glad to join the Temple in 108 bows on early dark cold mornings this past week. As dark and light smooth stones were slid from one side to the other by Kenzan to keep count, we at home would bring our bodies down, heads to the earth, hands open. These, to me, are the receiving gestures.  The chant pours forth from heart and throat. This, with lifted forearms, feels like my offering of intention.   As I struggled this year with some hand-related physical challenges, the Temple encouraged me to create a practice that was workable.  This turned into a blessing, as I explored options and felt compassion for all Beings who in the past, during this week, and in the future, here and around the world, met the challenges of the body in their spiritual practice.