Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sangha responses regarding the pandemic & practice

 

The Pandemic and Our Practice

We thought it would be useful to see how members of the sangha were responding to the restrictions imposed by the pandemic.  Many of our sangha members have used the pandemic to actually deepen their practice.  Here is what a sample of sangha members had to say about various aspects of the pandemic and their practice.

 

Softening with sitting practice

When the pandemic began, I found myself feeling quite restless during my meditation practice. I couldn't sit still or stop the thoughts from flooding my mind. My practice reflected back to me a sense of anxiety that I had been trying to avoid. It woke me up to what I was truly feeling inside and then I used my practice to cultivate a sense of ease. My sitting practice allowed me to become emotionally aware and then use this awareness to soften; to sit in stillness, breathe, and trust that everything is going to be okay.

-- Alexandra Sredni

Musings on the Pandemic

I’m grateful to be alive during this pandemic. At times it is profoundly sad and I am happy to know the depths and connection within that sadness.  It has stretched me. I want to help. That, in itself, is a gift.

-- Susan Calza

Helpful things that have supported my practice during the pandemic

Book group and discussions keep me focused and connected. It seems more than a Zoom connection with our discussions. Plus, I love seeing everyone's faces.  Work sessions at the temple were also helpful. I have helped three times at Shao Shan from picking up sticks to cloistering temple apple trees with straw. I feel I am connected to soul and place for the present and future. Recently, I met up with four sangha members to Zoom the Zazenkai. Ahhh, so good to sit with the presence of others.

-- Heather Kralik

What sustains me during the pandemic

Stop, look, listen, and smell.  The weekly Independent Practice Project sustains me.

-- Susan Stitely

Suggestions for surviving the pandemic

Breathe deeply, often. Fully appreciate, LOVE the breath. Every so often, pause and focus on a couple of breaths.  Limit the news feed, don’t fall into a rabbit hole of horror.  Keep opening to others’ suffering, practice Tonglen. Wide-open empathy. Then let it go. The belief that we are separate is false. We are all struggling with many similar issues.  Stay with the present moment, as opposed to falling into fear of what might happen in the future. Sit on the fine line between hope and hopelessness. 

-- Julie Hand

 

Lessons from the pandemic

I truly believe that COVID has come to us as a message from the spiritual realm. I would not claim to know what it’s supposed to teach us exactly, but I have an inkling that it has to do with slowing down and paying attention to the here and now. As we had fewer options to go shopping and getting our hair done, there was perhaps the lesson that I need less stuff than I think I do. Perhaps I learned that if I consume less and give away more, I can pay attention to the here and now. We were reminded to be grateful to our essential workers. Before the crisis most people wouldn’t have thought of being grateful for these types of services. Expressions of gratitude are something we practice as Sangha members. The current crisis encourages more kindness in our society at large.

-- Clara Bruns

Help from the Independent Practice Project and daily meditation

I found Shao Shan’s independent practice projects helpful, even though I did not ever join in the discussions because the times were not good for me.  But I often thought about the projects during the week and tried to be mindful of what they were asking us to do.  I also found it helpful to meditate  online with a group from the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies.  Every morning, including weekends, from 10:30 until about 11:15 they have a guided meditation with teachers Bill and Susan Morgan called Bridging the Physical Distancing Divide.

-- Priscilla Fox

Taking Refuge

The daily regular messages from Shao Shan Temple that include short suggestions for practice as well as information about activities to join.  Phone contacts with sangha friends, sharing practice experiences, including stuck places, and humor.   Readings from Buddhist sources and of course, daily sittings.  Early morning walking/running/swimming, usually accompanied by silent and short mantra - Namu Kie Butsu.

-- Judy Harden

Nature knows no pandemic

Bee-balm for bees, zazen for do-nothings: never forget.

-- Scott Fields

Online programming at the temple

My experience of turning back in to my home life during the pandemic months helped me make some major changes that will benefit me in years to come. The pandemic helped me realign with my practice at home and at the temple.  The programs, especially the independent study option, were invaluable, and life changing during this time. They played an important role in my spiritual groundedness during a time when it feels like a rug is being pulled out from under us.

-- Donna O’Malley

 

May all beings be happy

Because of the restrictions placed on our social behavior as a result of the pandemic, I found that I was unable to assist others in the usual ways that friends and neighbors typically do during difficult times.  This was frustrating for me.  At Taihaku’s suggestion, I filled that gap by intensifying my mediation practice focusing on the intention that all beings be happy.  Doing lovingkindness and Tonglen meditation practices helped me feel both a connection to others and a sense of service.

                                                                                                                    -- Max Schlueter