Monday, February 10, 2020

Heart of the Way - ChoGetsu (newsletter article)

HEART OF THE WAY

By

Cho-Getsu


No matter where I shine a light in on my life, I see something fundamental, a spiritual rootedness. For periods I have forgotten this goodness —this Buddha Nature — but something always takes me back. Early spiritual training came being raised Catholic in a big family. It was fortunate for me that family life was infused with the sacred. The early loss of my father oriented my attention outward, greatly affecting how I continued to be in the world, and I did often need something true to come back to. 

When I was (or did) good, I was noticed and felt good, gaining some illusion that I could control outcomes by acting a certain way and trying hard. Once on my own, free from religious and parental guideposts, a new independence allowed me to succeed or to fall, get up, reroute and keep going. Learning on my own didn’t always pan out so well.

Without searching, I found Quakers. “That of God within” fit better and grounded me again. I was married there, nestled in arms of the rocky Downeast coast, family who supported despite reservations, and a spiritual community I never expected to leave. Sunday morning’s quiet contemplation until one is “moved to speak” resonated better than an authoritative God-figure. I quickly fell into “true” and blossomed there, enhanced by the raising of two children and a simple life. Discovering the good inside was a boost I’d need before marital struggles led us to Vermont, where I’d again try navigating on my own. Comfort was found in a small Methodist church community, but it felt more like Linus’s blanket, and I’d eventually give it up for something to carry inside me.
Untying the marital knot led me to meditation with the goal of calming my mind and finding equanimity. It gave me a needed resilience. New gates appeared when I chose to study the Buddha Way.  The gate opened to India where I’d attend the Dalai Lama’s public teaching of The Bodhisattva’s Way of Life. Benefiting all beings became my aspiration. His Holiness’s words “NEVER GIVE UP” are right here when health and emotional challenges come up, and I’m reminded they too are the path. When I returned, instead of settling into the Mahayana lineage at Milarepa, I discovered a little Japanese temple down the road from me, Shao Shan Temple.  A small blanket’s comfort and the expansiveness of travel gave way to the inner solace found when I let myself rest in the arms of Buddha. I discovered I can tap into and hold the universe in my hands with a trusted teacher guiding and sangha inspiring me to live by vow.

There have been many gates along the Way that have taken me through obstacle to opportunity.  I attended Shao Shan’s first study group and never stopped, said yes to the spontaneous invitation to join the first temple trip to Japan, and became one of Taihaku’s first students.  I became a sewing guide under Kenzan’s tutelage and would help sew Taihaku’s Mountain Seat robe (see photo above) and guide new students of the Way to make their own robes. And I was wed to David by Taihaku.

I am grateful that my path has been The Way of the Heart, where everything encountered becomes a teaching and a gift, and where effort can relax, because what I need is right here.  Thank you.